Monday, November 8, 2010

Humility

Let me first say that I am officially fed up with Daylight Savings. I still wake up before the sun, and now I have an hour less sunshine to enjoy. Thanks for nothing, George Vernon Hudson.

I was inspired by Matt's blog on 1 Peter 5 to reflect on the privilege of ministry, because sometimes it doesn't feel like a great big thrill to be subjected to accountability, expectations and nut-jobs. However, I am encouraged by the passage in 1 Peter, and by this passage from 1 Timothy 1:12-16

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength to do his work. He considered me trustworthy and appointed me to serve him, even though I used to blaspheme the name of Christ. In my insolence, I persecuted his people. But God had mercy on me because I did it in ignorance and unbelief. Oh, how generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus.

This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it: “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners”—and I am the worst of them all. But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life.


I think one of the best things about Paul is that he didn't forget his unflattering past. I think this is the key to being a person of grace (which I am frequently not but strive to be). When Paul reminds his readers (and himself?) of his insolence, ignorance and unbelief, he strips himself of entitlement and pride and is left with this outburst of worship in verse 17: All honor and glory to God forever and ever! He is the eternal King, the unseen one who never dies; he alone is God. Amen.


This is much more appealing to me than the smug advice I daydream about giving to people who haven't figured out the things I have. Which isn't advice I would have taken in their place anyways. And I probably don't have it as figured out as I think. Paul's biggest hope is not for people to get their act together, but for them to realize that they can believe in Jesus and receive eternal life. I need to remember that God's calling for me is to serve him and leave it at that. He can handle the rest :)

4 comments:

  1. Is that amen because I keep giving you smug advice?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol for your comments! I wish I could tattoo your last 2 sentences on my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Daylight Savings what happens between April and October? I think now we're just back to regular time because there's not enough daylight to "save." It's dark no matter how you slice it now.

    ReplyDelete