Thursday, January 27, 2011

Will Pt. 1

At my church we pray the Lord's prayer every week, so I have probably said it more in the last year than the previous 10. I don't feel extra spiritual about it or anything - sometimes I catch myself zoning out part way through despite my best intentions - but saying it regularly gives me time to think about it regularly, and different parts of the prayer stand out different times. Sometimes at the very end of a kickboxing class we have to hold a plank (basically just chill in the push-up position) for 30 or 45 seconds, and more often than not I mutter the Lord's prayer or some Scripture passage I've memorized, and that tends to be enough of a distraction that I don't give up. Those aren't usually very spiritual moments either lol, mostly they are painful and sweaty, BUT again, different things stand out in my mind and I like to notice that.

This week in church the line that stuck out was "thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven." These are my thoughts:
  • it is right to submit our wills to God
  • things happen on Earth that are not God's will
  • things also happen that are not our will
  • sometimes God's will is not our will
  • sometimes nobody's will is done - life on Earth is imperfect
  • it takes faith to believe that ultimately God's will is/will be done ("is/will be" representing how difficult it is to talk about God without limiting him to time, which only exists in the universe and doesn't hold any sway over him)

No comments:

Post a Comment